Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What's a Mobius?

A few years ago I went to visit my good friend in Seattle and we went to see a Cut Copy show. I had never heard of the two openers, Black Kids and Mobius Band. Black Kids were then at the height of their hype and the crowd went crazy for them, then when their album debuted, critics and bloggers alike panned the crap out of it, essentially dooming them forever, so I haven't heard anything from them in a few years. I had never heard of Mobius Band either, but the difference is that there was never any hype; in fact, it's pretty difficult to find any info on them at all. Even at this concert, they ignored their duties at the merch booth so much that I eventually had to just steal their display CD they had scotch-taped to the table. I've only met one other person who has ever heard of them, but he was working at a record fair, so I'm not sure that counts.

The point is that these guys make great music, wherever they are. I once touted them as my new French Kicks, but in the end that didn't work because they never came through town so I couldn't go stalk them. "Friends Like These" is a great mid-tempo synthy-bass, feel-good tune: I just wish they hadn't fallen off the face of the earth so we could hear more songs like it.

2 comments:

  1. Since you asked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks buddy!! i feel enlightened:)

    ReplyDelete