Friday, August 6, 2010

Retro? Friday

I debated whether or not to post a song for retro Friday from Paul Simon's Graceland because it doesn't necessarily feel very retro. The album is timeless and hasn't dated at all since its release in 1986. Two hundred years from now, people wouldn't be able to place when this album came out (apart from, perhaps, that wicked bass solo on "You Can Call Me Al").

This song is called "That Was Your Mother" and it recalls Louisiana zydeco music, just one of the many influences that shaped the album. When I listen to this song, I imagine myself at a sidewalk cafe in New Orleans, with a random street band belting this out, and then people just get up and start dancing and swinging each other around. Then I finish my beignet and pralines, take 2 shots of bourbon and join the dancing crowd yelling, "Hells yeah! It's summer y'all!"

1 comment: